Student Job Opportunity
CALL FOR JOB APPLICATIONS
Position Title: Canada Day Event Coordinator
Category: Canada Summer Student Job: Student must plan to continue school fall 2017
Location: Arnica Artist Run Centre
Reporting to: Gallery Administrator
Hours: 30 hr/wk, flexible schedule
Start date: June 5, 2017 (8 week contract)
Pay schedule: $2959.00
General Description of the Position:
The student will plan, organize and oversee Arnica’s Canada Day 150 “Art in the Park” booth. Art in the Park is the largest arts event in Kamloops and is organized by the Kamloops Arts Council (KAC) as part of the City of Kamloops Canada Day celebrations at Riverside Park. The full day of arts exhibitions and sales, demos and performances engages over 30,000 people.
• Collaboration, commitment, reliability, schedule flexibility, self-starter;
• Visual, verbal and written communication skills;
• Post-secondary student focused on visual arts;
• Basic carpentry skills, use of power tools, and WHMS;
• Video production skills and interviewing techniques;
• Critical thinking and resourcefulness;
• Good organizational skills, can work to a timeline and take a leadership role of a team.
• Develop and carry out the program for Arnica’s booth at Canada Day Art in the Park;
• Coordinate a small team of volunteers to assist preparation, installation of booth on site, oversee onsite activities during the Canada Day event, and dismantle booth after event;
• Supervise video documentation of Canada Day 150 celebrants’ views on Canadian identity;
• Be Arnica liaison/contact person for communications with the City of Kamloops, Kamloops Arts Council and TRU Visual Arts Dept. regarding event;
• Help publicize event, write PR materials and post online;
• Be a contact person for local artists participating at Arnica booth;
• Report on activities to Arnica Gallery Administrator;
• May require editing video documentation of event for further display after event;
• Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, committed to quality and able to work independently, with minimal supervision;
• Must maintain a professional, cooperative manner while working for Arnica;
• Ability to work flexible hours.
The hiring committee will take into consideration the categories of priority student (student with disabilities; Aboriginal student; a student who is a member of a visible minority), but foremost we seek a student with a visual art background.
Deadline for Submissions is May 29, 2017. Applications should include:
• Cover letter with statement of related abilities
• Résumé (maximum 2 pages)
Applicants may send proposals electronically to ArnicaARC@gmail.com
Arnica Artist-Run Centre
attn: Gallery Administrator
Old Courthouse Cultural Centre
7 Seymour Street West
Kamloops, British Columbia V2C 1E4
Arnica is an artist-run centre in Kamloops, BC and a registered BC Society and charity, with exhibition programming that fosters culturally diverse, First Nations, and multidisciplinary interests, and the intent of engaging and educating the public about contemporary art through the presentation of work by emerging and established artists, and through lectures, workshops, readings, performances, and other community-based events.